Monday, March 7, 2011

Scrap happy tree pillow


I got the idea for this super cute pillow from Cluck Cluck Sew. I am not great at following directions (hehe) and am more one to see the picture and then go make one on my own. If that's you, feel free to ignore the rest of this completely. If you like directions, read on :)


The infamous scrap happy box. I think I might move them out of this little storage unit thing and put them in a basket.

You will need:
- Your scrap happy box, whatever it may be :)
- A pillow form
- Fabric for the background


1. Start by picking out the fabrics you want to use and cutting the petal shapes. I cut 16, I think...mine were about 2 inches long and one inch wide, and in a petalish shape. I'm really not good at this...

2. Find a suitable brown fabric to be your trunk, and cut...er...a trunk shape out of it. My brother bought this lovely camo to sew himself a case for his flyrod. No joke. I never dreamed I would be using it for a project of mine...


3. Cut two squares of whatever you want your background to be about 1 inch around bigger than your pillow-form. If it has been sitting in a box for awhile like mine, you may want to iron it.

4. Arrange your petals on your fabric however you want them and pin them down on one of your squares.

5. This step is optional but I highly recommend it :)
6. Set the gauge wrong on your sewing machine and make a mess of your pillow front. A few times. Wait, that's just me.

7. Using the zig-zag stitch if you have one, sew the petals down.

8. And...the step where I forgot to take pictures. There's always at least one. Ah well. Sew your two squares together right sides in on three sides, turn it right-side-out, put your pillow form into it and sew it nicely shut.

9. Tada! Put your pillow in its new decorative spot and take a picture. 

10. Well, there really is no 10th step, but 10 steps is a good number. I know! Eat some ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. just beautiful! And i love the quilt on your bed. Who made it? You'll have to join us on a Saturday at LOJ for quilting etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the quilt about a year ago :) It was a first project and I was pretty happy with it. I have often thought it would be super fun to come out and quilt at LOJ but have always been busy on the days. Is it the second Saturday of the month?

    ReplyDelete